Teachers do not always receive the proper recognition and support that they deserve for educating our youth and that is why the Golden Apple Teacher Recognition Program is so important. Twenty-eight years ago, Golden Apple was created to enhance public education by recognizing and rewarding excellence in teaching. Each year begins with an invitation to students, parents, teachers, administrators and the general public to nominate any public school teacher employed by The School District of Lee County who is making an extraordinary contribution to our students. Since the program's inception, the Foundation has awarded 152 educators with the prestigious "Golden Apple." It culminates with a black tie banquet attended by more than 700 guests. The Golden Apple Banquet is a celebration for the 100 highest ranking teachers in the selection process. Typically, more than 10,000 nomination forms are submitted by students and community members nominating over 2,300 educators.The Golden Apple Selection Committee, made up of community and business leaders, is charged with the arduous task of selecting the Golden Apple Recipients. They begin the process by reading each application and narrowing the field to 30 Finalists. The next step is for each member of the Selection Committee to observe each Finalist in his or her classroom and to conduct a private, professional interview. After hours of observation and interviews, the Selection Committee chooses six teachers as recipients of the Golden Apple Award. The six Golden Apple recipients are made "Guests of Honor" at the Annual Recognition Dinner at Harborside Event Center. This year's event is scheduled for Friday, April 10, 2015.
* One way we are raising funds to purchase scholarships for our Take Stock in Children program is through our Strides for Education 5K on February 7, 2015. This event will be hosted by Florida SouthWestern State College at their Lee County Campus.
ADVANCE REGISTRATION IS ONLY $25!
- When: Saturday, February 7th, 2015 at 8am *same-day registration will be $30/person and begin at 7am so please sign up early!
- Where: Florida SouthWestern State College (8099 College Parkway, Fort Myers, FL)
- Separate run time for our serious racers! (Run starts at 8:00am, walkers start at 8:05am)
- Medals and awards for all age groups!
- Try our corporate challenge! The business/company that signs up the most participants will receive a special plaque to hang in their place of business.
- Try our school challenge! The school that signs up the most participants will receive a special plaque to hang in their school office.
- Bring your kids! After the race, there will be a kids fun run (100 yard dash).
- REGISTER NOW!